A new contract for the provision of encrypted smartphones to the Israeli army is expected to bolster the involvement of Motorola Solutions in the Israeli occupation.
Motorola Solutions and its Israeli subsidiary – Motorola Solutions Israel – have a long-standing cooperation with Israeli security forces. Over the last decade, Motorola Solutions has developed and provided battlefield communication systems for the Israeli army and police, systems that are routinely used by Israeli soldiers and police officers during operations in the occupied Palestinian territories.
In January 2014, the Israeli Ministry of Defense signed a USD 100 million contract, for a period of 15 years, with Motorola Solutions – to provide the Israeli army and other security forces with encrypted smartphones. Motorola Solutions won this contract without a tender.
The aforementioned device will offer encrypted calls and emails, the ability to send and receive digital media, as well as navigation capabilities. It will replace the veteran “Mountain Rose” mobile system, which will continue to serve the army until 2018.
USD 50 million of the new program will be funded using United States military aid, which will cover the cost of adaptation, development and production of the device for the Israeli army, to be executed by Motorola Solutions. The other half of the program will be funded through the Israeli defense budget, primarily covering maintenance of the system by Motorola Solutions Israel.
- “Big Brother” in Jerusalem’s Old City: Israel’s Militarized Visual Surveillance System in Occupied East Jerusalem
- Agribusiness as Usual: Agricultural Technology and the Israeli Occupation
- Caterpillar Imports of Bulldozers to the Israeli Army Is on Hold
- Cisco's Involvement in the Israeli Occupation
- Danish Companies Provide Services in West Bank Settlements
- Elbit Systems' Complicity in the Assault on Gaza 2014
- Facts on the Ground: Heavy Engineering Machinery and the Israeli Occupation
- For Medicinal Purposes: The Israeli Military Sector and the Coronavirus Crisis
- Ford’s Sales to the Israeli Army
- Hewlett Packard (HP) And The Israeli Occupation
- Hewlett Packard (HP) Renewed Its Contract With the Israeli Ministry of Defence for the Maintenance of the Basel System in Checkpoints
- Hewlett Packard Splits Into Two Separate Companies: Hewlett Packard Enterprise and HP Inc.
- HP Will Continue Maintaining the Basel System Until the End of 2015
- Infrastructures of Dispossession and Control: Transport Development in East Jerusalem
- Privatizing Security: Corporate Involvement in the Checkpoints
- Proven Effective: Crowd Control Weapons in the Occupied Palestinian Territories
- Repression Diplomacy: The Israeli Cyber Industry
- Signal Strength: Occupied: The Telecommunications Sector and the Israeli Occupation
- Technologies of Control: The Case of Hewlett Packard (HP)
- The Gendered Aspect of Israeli Checkpoints in the OPT
- The Israeli Ministry of Defense Expands HP’s Biometric System in Checkpoints
- Volvo Provides Buses Used as Mobile Interrogation Rooms by Israel's General Security Services
- الردّ الأمنيّ والعسكريّ الإسرائيليّان على الوباء: دلالات وتداعيات
- حقائق على أرض الواقع: المعدّات الهندسيّة الثّقيلة والاحتلال الاسرائيلي
- دبلوماسية القمع: صناعة السايبر الإسرائيلية
- في صيانة نظام "بيزيل" حتّى نهاية العام 2015 HP سوف تستمرّ شركة
- نجاعة مُثبتة: أسلحة السّيطرة على الجماهير في الأراضي الفلسطينيّة المُحتلَّة