Israel dismissed petitions by environmental organizations against the drilling; Afek Oil and Gas immediately started preparations on the ground.
During February 2015, Afek Oil and Gas (previously named Genie Israel Oil and Gas) announced that it has finished preparations on the ground and has begun drilling for oil in the south of the occupied Golan (map).
Two years ago, Afek Oil and Gas was granted by the Israeli Ministry of Energy and Water three years exclusive petroleum exploration license in the occupied Golan Heights (For more information see previous update). The drilling was delayed due to strong opposition by Israeli and international environmental organizations, however, the state dismissed the petitions against the drilling in December 2014 and Afek immediately started preparing the ground for drilling.
Afek Oil and Gas, previously named Genie Israel Oil and Gas is an Israeli private company, almost fully owned by an American corporation – Genie Oil and Gas (GOGAS). GOGAS is a subsidiary of the public company Genie Energy that is traded in the Nasdaq.
- Ahava: Tracking the Trade Trail of Settlement Products
- An Updated List of Israeli Quarries in the West Bank
- Cemex’s New West Bank Policy: Drops Mining activity, Continues Production in Settlements
- Greenwashing the Golan: The Israeli Wind Energy Industry in the Occupied Syrian Golan
- Greenwashing the Naqab: The Israeli Industry of Solar Energy
- Greenwashing the Occupation: The Solar Energy Industry and the Israeli Occupation
- In the Pipeline: Israeli Bypass Water Project in the Jordan Valley
- Insuring Dispossession: The Complicity of Five Israeli Insurance and Pension Companies in the Violation of Palestinian Rights
- Israel Grants Genie Israel Oil and Gas a Petroleum Exploration License in the Golan Heights
- Israeli High Court of Justice Legalizes the Exploitation of Natural Resources in the OPT
- Israeli Solar Fields in the West Bank
- Mekorot’s Involvement in the Israeli Occupation
- Occupational Hazards: The Eco-politics of the Israeli Occupation
- Past Corporate Involvement: Construction on Occupied Land
- Plundering the Sun: The Israeli Solar Energy Industry and Palestinian Forced Displacement
- Shapir Civil and Marine Engineering and the Israeli occupation
- The Business and Trade of Ahava: An Update
- The Israeli Exploitation of Palestinian Natural Resources: Part I
- The Israeli Exploitation of Palestinian Natural Resources: Part II: Heidelberg Cement
- The Israeli Exploitation of Palestinian Natural Resources: Part III: Ashtrom
- The Israeli Exploitation of Palestinian Natural Resources: Part IV: Ahava
- Two Occupation Profiteers Collaborate in a Joint Sale
- Veolia's Activities in Israel and the OPT: An Overview
Find A Company